The BOOSTAR-ONE / GIGA III experimental two stage rocket sucesfully flew to +15km and was safely recovered at the LRE spring 2019 event. Please click here for the full launch report.
Author Archives: JVDB
The amateur, experimental, two stage, BOOSTAR-ONE / GIGA III rocket reached near space and was safely receoved at the LRE 2019 spring launch hosted by the kind people of the PTR. Please stay tuned for more info.
Dry fit of BOOSTAR-ONE / GIGA III stack.
Below is a quick representation of the head-end-ignition setup as used on the GIGA III rocket. There are many different configurations which work, including a more integrated, pyrotechnic, flame thrower type solution. However for the sake of robustness and proven designs I remained close to the modified NERO style M10x1 head end igniter body and the LD
On February 3rd we had a nice day of testing with blue skies, little wind and 6° Celsius. Two motors were to be tested both with the goal of having high thrust and short burns so they could be used as a booster for the forthcoming 2 stage rocket. The first motor made by LD
Since my rocket activities in the summer are low – I get distracted due to the other fun stuff – it turns out I do a lot of the APCP mixing in the winter My workshop for mixing doesn’t have permanent heating, is poorly isolated anyway and temperatures regularly drop to 5-10°C. At these temperature the HTPB and thus the propellant
On Friday 19h October we tested a smaller KILO 3G motor with a simulated total impulse of approximately 5.000Ns. The famous Alumaflame propellant formula was modified by removing the AP to make it pourable but maintaining the same CuO/Al percentages. This 3G motor was designed to be a full L or baby M1650 with a 3s burn suitable
On September 20th, LD and JVDB static tested a joint monolithic motor project. JVDB provided the design, foam cores & motor hardware. LD developed the grain casting process, assembled the motor and provided the test stand. This motor was our first try at a monolithic grain motor with a complex foam core. We believe case bonded, monolithic grains are a
On 20.09.2018 we tested 3 motors of which the monolithic moonburner was my own and a monolithic finned core / star grain was a joint venture with LD. The moonburner burn was succesful and the thrust curve spot on according to Bursim simulations. At the end of the burn there seems some off-center thrust. Upon post firing inspection it