Nose cone avionics The nose cone avionics of the GIGA II have been re-built after the CATO. Keeping the original basic design with some minor modifications. One of the failure modes evident was that the nose cone tip with central M6 threaded rod was missing and ripped itself, including the nut, through an aluminium U-profile taking
Category Archives: Rockets
The nose cone avionics arrangement went through quite a few iterations as it was more or less designed around the 4000mAh battery. However it proved to be quite a challenge mounting the battery on the centerline of the rocket / nose cone and still being able to fit the other components. Although the 86mm 5:1
She’s finished and with the LRE launch confirmed for 29-30 April 2017, we are go for launch. There is some backlog on the construction updates but these will come shortly.
GIGA recovery hardware consisting of: 5m – 3/8″ tubular kevlar Kevlar burito secured to the shock cord at 1m 60″ Iris Fruity Chute incl swivel. ” order_by=”filename” order_direction=”ASC” returns=”included” maximum_entity_count=”500″]
Ground testing of the deployment charges of the 86mm minimum diameter GIGA rocket. “Test what you fly, fly what you test”.
A 3D printer camera shroud for the Mobius Mini was ordered from Additive Aerospace. However upon closer inspection I noticed the design could be optimized a bit for the GIGA rocket being: The Additive Aerospace camera shroud used four screws positioned in a square to secure the shroud to the airframe. This is particularly hard to
Pull pin Consisting of two-piece pin where as one part can remain in the rocket during preparations and a second part containing the “remove before flight” tag can be screwed on/off during assembly. With the Intimidator 5 we noticed that a protruding pull pin, especially in combination with parts / coupler pieces which need to slide into each other,
I have been busy with the electronics or avionics bay. I find it one of the hardest components to design properly so little physical progress to report. However I want to share the following picture of goodies I received over the last week. From left to right: Electronics bay update with preliminary routing of the cables.
After having loads of fun with the Wildman – Intimidator 5 it is time for a new experimental rocket. A minimum diameter rocket for some serious altitude. Based on the very succesful KILO 6G motor with a higher total impulse, more grains and updated with a light weight 86x3mm motor casing. Rocket will be made “sustainer-ready” similar like de DECA
During machine it was noticed that the wet lay up has, as large as 1mm, eccentricity. Even when the alignment jig was used to center the 3D printed plugs in line. Hence, up to 2mm extra outer diameter needed to be laminated so any eccentricity can be removed during the final machining stage. A stepped