Below is a quick representation of the head-end-ignition setup as used on the GIGA III rocket. There are many different configurations which work, including a more integrated, pyrotechnic, flame thrower type solution. However for the sake of robustness and proven designs I remained close to the modified NERO style M10x1 head end igniter body and the LD
Tag Archives: GIGAIII
On September 20th, LD and JVDB static tested a joint monolithic motor project. JVDB provided the design, foam cores & motor hardware. LD developed the grain casting process, assembled the motor and provided the test stand. This motor was our first try at a monolithic grain motor with a complex foam core. We believe case bonded, monolithic grains are a
On 20.09.2018 we tested 3 motors of which the monolithic moonburner was my own and a monolithic finned core / star grain was a joint venture with LD. The moonburner burn was succesful and the thrust curve spot on according to Bursim simulations. At the end of the burn there seems some off-center thrust. Upon post firing inspection it
To cope with the extended exposure to hot gases due to the moonburner grain configuration I decided to apply additional phenolic protection on the inside of the liner. Rather than adding a full length casting tube I decided to cut the casting tube in two pieces and applied an additional layer of phenolic near the core
This post is used as a repository. Pictures are pretty self explanatory. Off set core 17,5mm.