Since my rocket activities in the summer are low – I get distracted due to the other fun stuff – it turns out I do a lot of the APCP mixing in the winter My workshop for mixing doesn’t have permanent heating, is poorly isolated anyway and temperatures regularly drop to 5-10°C. At these temperature the HTPB and thus the propellant
On Friday 19h October we tested a smaller KILO 3G motor with a simulated total impulse of approximately 5.000Ns. The famous Alumaflame propellant formula was modified by removing the AP to make it pourable but maintaining the same CuO/Al percentages. This 3G motor was designed to be a full L or baby M1650 with a 3s burn suitable
On September 20th, LD and JVDB static tested a joint monolithic motor project. JVDB provided the design, foam cores & motor hardware. LD developed the grain casting process, assembled the motor and provided the test stand. This motor was our first try at a monolithic grain motor with a complex foam core. We believe case bonded, monolithic grains are a
On 20.09.2018 we tested 3 motors of which the monolithic moonburner was my own and a monolithic finned core / star grain was a joint venture with LD. The moonburner burn was succesful and the thrust curve spot on according to Bursim simulations. At the end of the burn there seems some off-center thrust. Upon post firing inspection it
To cope with the extended exposure to hot gases due to the moonburner grain configuration I decided to apply additional phenolic protection on the inside of the liner. Rather than adding a full length casting tube I decided to cut the casting tube in two pieces and applied an additional layer of phenolic near the core
This post is used as a repository. Pictures are pretty self explanatory. Off set core 17,5mm.
Sneak preview of a new to be developped motor. The core design was copied after excellent test results from AV. The plan is to step up our APCP motors in size without the need of costly matching phenolic liners and casting tubes normally required for BATES grain motors. This fin core design allows for a monolithic cast grain with a neutral burn,
We had a blast! GIGA II flew to 8.792m and approx Mach 1.7. Click here for for further details.