Sneak preview of a new to be developped motor. The core design was copied after excellent test results from AV. The plan is to step up our APCP motors in size without the need of costly matching phenolic liners and casting tubes normally required for BATES grain motors. This fin core design allows for a monolithic cast grain with a neutral burn,
Category Archives: Motors
On Saturday 04.02.2018 we organized a small static test party. I wanted to test the KILO 5GXL motor measuring both thrust as well as chamber pressure. My current set up only allows for chamber pressure and to determine the Isp I needed actual thrust readings for which I needed the static test stand from LD.
Some pictures of KILO 5GXL motor on a Slow white APCP reload.
Characterization tests of the Slow White pourable propellant with unimodal AP 200um propellant at Kn 424-643. This is a 60mm OD / 50mm ID test motor with 2G neutral burning bates grains. As the name already implies the propellant is indeed slow burning and needs a high Kn to get the most out of the Isp in this short motor.
Mixing of a small 700gr batch of “slow white” APCP pourable propellant for characterization tests. Actually this bimodal formula calls for ¼ part op 90µm AP but I have found this difficult to obtain. Hence the all 200µm AP. The AP I have contains 25% by weight of particles 0-150µm so I hope this comes close to the
Awaiting some final ingredients I started to characterize the old-stock HTPB. I expect the HTPB I have is similar to R45HTLO so an EW of 1190 is used in the curative calculations. Small 50gr batches (measured to a hundreds of a gram) were made to evaluate the different Cure Indexes 0.9 – 1.3. The curative
UPDATE 20170907: Due to the KNER propellant misbehaving during casting, I opted not to invest any resources in this KILO 12G KNER project anymore. What I noticed during casting KNER in the casting tube is that the solid KN particles settled towards the bottom of the grain. Leaving 25mm of plain ER at the top. With the normal
Final thoughts on the CATO / overpressurization of the KILO 12G KNSB motor at the LRE 2017 launch: The motor had a very conservative port-to-throat area ratio of 1.5 to prevent velocity based erosive burning. This resulted in a higher than necessary, Knaverage of 700 and thus higher Maximum Expected Operating Pressure (MEOP). Mass flux based erosive burning. Little has been described about
“We had a bad day”. This pretty much sums up our launch day at LRE 2017. First LD’s CHIRON 3 rocket overpressurized in a spectacular way, taking out the upper 2/3rd of the launch rail. A makeshift launch rail was made and the GIGA was launched from the remaining 2,5m lower section. The GIGA rocket suffered the
The GIGA rocket has been designed as a true minimum diameter rocket with fin brackets mounted directly onto the casing. This is not a particular KISS approach but rather a result from the “sustainer ready” requirement. Alternatives considered were: Welded aluminium fincan. However due to the lack of availability of matching off-the-shelf materials (it is